Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Gluten Free in Iceland - Breakfast

Breakfast in Iceland is a very European buffet. Lots of eggs, beans, deli items, fish, breads and pastries.


And it was all delicious no matter where we ate.

Grand Hotel Reykjavík had 4-5 types of eggs available: scrambled, hard boiled, fried, sunny side up, and soft boiled in addition to them making omelettes if you wanted. There were many types of Skyr to have, some sweet some not so sweet. There was gluten free cereal and all kinds of milks: cow, almond, soy, etc. Also all kinds of juice: orange, carrot, beet and so many others I honestly can’t remember. Fresh fruits of all kinds and lots of pastries although none that were gluten free that we could find.

Hotel Dohlery had many of the same options as the Grand Hotel. Just a few less egg types and they did offer gluten free bread two of the days. The fruit here though was beyond compare. There were even items I don’t know what they were. Kiwi, bananas, oranges of three types, catawaba, watermelon and as I said more that I couldn’t even identify. It was all fresh, juicy, tasty and amazing.

I had read that gluten free bread is not common and it did appear that way. I was ok not having it for the 6 days I was there and perhaps next time I would take my own or check out a store upon arrival to pick some up.

No comments: