Saturday, March 30, 2019

Gluten Free in Iceland - Hótel Dyrhólaey

I have no photos of my food from our three night stay at Hótel Dyrhólaey and that is no way indicative of the food not being good. In fact, I am sad I don’t have photos of my amazing meals I had here.

First night was the Tomato soup to start, then Iceland Cod with potatoes and veggies, followed up with Icelandic Skyr with blueberries.

The soup was excellent. It was creamy and filled with fresh veggies. It even was the perfect temperature. I just wish they had some gluten free bread to soak up the end of the soup.

Then the cod...It was seriously the best fish I have ever had, EVER. It was cooked to perfection, it was flaky and tender and the flavor was just perfect. The potatoes were perfect as were the veggies. I must disclose there was also some butter involved with the fish that I am sure lent to the yumminess but really it was an amazing piece of fish.

The Skyr was creamy, thick, sweet and oh so good. I am definitely hooked on it now.


Second night was Cauliflower soup, Icelandic Pork with potatoes and veggies, followed up with chocolate caramel panna cotta.

The soup again was perfect. Creamy, thick, full of veggies and just the right temperature.

The pork was interesting. It was tasty but it reminded me so much of beef (that I am not able to eat) that I worried it was a “funny” description for Icelandic Pork and it really meant it was beef. It did turn out they had beef gravy on the pork and I did get a little off that night. I wished I had just switched to the cod.. which I did do for the last night (instead of chicken).

The panna cotta was incredible. They removed the bottom layer which apparently was like a cookie and we were left with the chocolate and caramel panna cotta. It was delicious! It was a definite tie with the Skyr.


The last night I changed my chicken to cod and I am so glad I did. There was broccoli soup and Skyr again for dessert.

The soup was perfect. Not creamy but more like broth but it was soooo good. Warm and perfect for the cold Iceland weather.

The cod was just as perfect as the first night, the sign of an amazing chef if you ask me. All the sides were just as good also. So impressed with the food at this hotel.

Lastly the Skyr was just as good as the first night too.

We were also treated to 1000 year old glacial ice for our drinks this night from our trip to Diamond Beach.


No comments: